- JGHS Open Event for families
- Transition queries can be discussed at Sciennes’ Parent Consultation Evenings
- Some parents will be approached about potential inclusion of their child in JGHS’ Enhanced Transition programme
- P7 Choir Rehearsals begin at JGHS for Performing Arts Concert in December
- Families receive confirmation of catchment school place to home address
- Parents can begin the process of submitting a non-catchment school Placing Request, if they wish
- P7 pupils rehearse at JGHS and at Usher Hall
- P7 pupils can elect to participate in JGHS Performing Arts Concert at Usher Hall
- JGHS staff begin liaising with Sciennes staff
- P7 Pupil Profile and Pupil Choices Proforma completed and shared with parents at the Sciennes Parent Consultation evening.
- Parents will be notified by letter if their child has been selected to be included in the JGHS Enhanced Transition programme.
- Parents are notified of the success or otherwise of Placing Requests for non-catchment schools
- Enhanced Transition groups begin a six week programme of visits to JGHS
- JGHS Pupil Support Staff visit classes and meet with Sciennes staff
- JGHS SfL staff attend P7 Child Planning Meetings at Sciennes
- JGHS Pupil Support Staff and former pupils visit school to give a presentation to P7
- JGHS Parents’ Meeting which P7 pupils can attend
- Health and Wellbeing Transition Event for all Cluster P7 pupils
- Three Day Visit to JGHS
Catchment Secondary School
Catchment and Non Catchment Transition
Contact is established and maintained with all state and private schools receiving our pupils in S1 to ensure a smooth Transition to secondary school for all our pupils.
Please feel welcome to contact school with any queries or concerns.
Ms Lucy Gallagher, P5-7 Depute Headteacher
Catchment Secondary School
Please note that your nearest secondary school may not be your catchment school and that attending Sciennes does not entitle you to a place at James Gillespie’s. [Check the catchment maps links below.] Typically, each year there is a waiting list for places at James Gillespie’s High School where catchment children then non catchment children with siblings already at James Gillespie’s will take priority.
In November, letters are posted from City of Edinburgh Council School Placements to the parents of Primary Seven pupils to confirm the secondary school serving their home address. No further action is normally required if you want your child to attend your catchment secondary school.
Withdrawing Your Child’s Catchment Place
N.B. If you do not intend keeping your child’s place at his or her secondary catchment school, please notify school as soon as possible, since that will free up the place for those children waiting to hear.
Contact DHT Lucy Gallagher email@example.com who will notify City of Edinburgh School Placements and James Gillespie’s High School.
Non Catchment School Placing Request
Most parents/carers choose to send their children to one of their catchment schools. However, you have the right to express a preference for a different school and this is called a Placing Request. Should you wish to apply for a place at James Gillespie’s High School or another school use the Placing Request form available online at edinburgh.gov.uk/schoolplaces FROM NOVEMBER. All requests must be submitted by 24th December 2017.
Note that in recent years, as school rolls have increased, there has been a decrease in the number of places available for children living outside the catchment area and this has resulted in high numbers of placing requests being refused.
- The Council has agreed a policy for dealing with Placing Requests, and full details are on the Council website. Placing Requests will be granted if possible, however the highest priority is always given to children living within the catchment area of a school. It is important to note that due to rising birth rates it is likely that places for non-catchment children will be limited, even for those with an older brother or sister already attending.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your Placing Request by 30 April.